Mains Paper 3: Environment | Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Details of Dudhwa Tiger Reserve
Mains level: Preventing trans-boundary environmental crime
Intelligence and information Sharing
- Dudhwa Tiger Reserve and Sashastra Seema Bal have joined hands to provide security to Dudhwa forests and its rich wildlife.
- A consensus was reached among all security agencies including SSB on the border and the Dudhwa field staff to strengthen the patrolling in and around Dudhwa to check forest and wildlife crimes.
- It is aimed for intelligence and information sharing among various security agencies about activities of wildlife and forest criminals.
About Dudhwa Tiger Reserve
- The Dudhwa Tiger Reserve is a protected area in Uttar Pradesh that stretches mainly across the Lakhimpur Kheri and Bahraich districts.
- It comprises the Dudhwa National Park, Kishanpur Wildlife Sanctuary and Katarniaghat Wildlife Sanctuary.
- It covers an area of 1,284.3 sq.km and includes three large forest fragments amidst the matrix dominated by agriculture.
- It shares the north-eastern boundary with Nepal, which is defined to a large extent by the Mohana River.
- The area is a vast alluvial floodplain traversed by numerous rivers and streams flowing in south-easterly direction.
- In 1987, the Dudhwa National Park and the Kishanpur Wildlife Sanctuary were brought under the purview of the ‘Project Tiger’ as Dudhwa Tiger Reserve.