Mains Paper 2: IR | India and its neighborhood- relations.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Read the attached story
Mains level: Much awaited. It will end the ongoing border standoff between the two countries.
Standoff ends after two and a half month
- India and China has decided to de-escalate and withdraw their soldiers from the site at the trijunction with Bhutan
- The move was announced by both foreign ministries almost simultaneously
- Troop withdrawal has been “mutual” and “simultaneous” but “sequential”
Why is this disengagement important?
- This disengagement comes a week before Prime Minister Narendra Modi is scheduled to travel to Xiamen in China for the BRICS summit from September 3 to 5
- Therefore, it is important for the BRICS summit, for going smoothly
Is China withdrawing?
- According to the Chinese spokesperson, “in light of the changes of the situation on the ground, China will make necessary adjustments and deployment in accordance with the changes”
- The nature of its change in deployment and the time-lines for these adjustments have not been clarified
- But following the Indian withdrawal, there remains no reason for the Chinese troops to continue staying in Dolam plateau
- According to many observers, the Chinese have agreed to not construct the road as a quid pro quo(a favour or advantage granted in return for something) for the withdrawal