Mains Paper 3: Science and Technology | Science and Technology- indigenization of technology and developing new technology
From UPSC perspective, following things are important:
Prelims level: Particulars of the Policy.
Mains level: It will promote Make in India’ in defence manufacturing and therefore it is an important topic for Mains.
- What: Strategic Partnership (SP) policy, intended to promote Indian private sector participation in defence manufacturing has formally came into effect recently.
- The Defence Ministry notified the policy as the final chapter under the Defence Procurement Procedure
- Why this model: The SP model is being implemented to enable participation of private Indian firms in ‘Make in India’ in defence.
- The SP is expected to play the role of a system integrator by building an extensive ecosystem comprising development partners, specialised vendors and suppliers
- Relaxation for inexperienced Private Sector: The policy acknowledges that the Indian private sector currently has limited experience in defence manufacturing.
- In view of this, the policy states, “besides any experience in defence manufacturing, potential SPs will be identified primarily based on their experience and competence in integration of multi-disciplinary functional system of systems, engineering and manufacturing.”
- Segments under SP: Of the four segments under SP, two are for the Navy: submarines and utility helicopters.
- The others are single-engine fighter aircraft for the Indian Air Force and armoured vehicles for the Army.