India is faced with a shortage of 1.2 million school teachers
- Centre asked states to put in place a structured recruitment plan to reduce backlog and attract quality graduates to the profession
- It will be key to improving the quality of schooling in the country
- The shortage of teachers becomes all the more acute with absenteeism — at around 35%
- India has at least 1.4 million schools catering to over 270 million children.
- Education in India falls under the Concurrent List, which means both the Union and state governments can legislate on the subject.