An increase in non-performing assets have led several public sector banks to go slow on educational loans, latest data compiled by the Finance Ministry shows.
- Banks were given a target of 20 per cent growth in disbursements.
- There are lots of NPAs in the education sector and rising in the last few years.
- Due to rising bad loans, the finance ministry, at the request of bankers, has created a credit guarantee fund for education loans.
- It has also asked banks to integrate with the Vidya Lakshmi portal.
- This is a first of its kind portal providing a single window for students to access information and submit applications for educational loans to banks and for government scholarships.
Posted on | The Hindu