From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Not Much
Mains level : Substance abuse in India
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has informed the Parliament about substance abuse trends in the country.
These figures were determined by a National Survey conducted in 2018 to collect state-wise data on the Extent and Pattern of Substance Use.
Substance abuse in India
- India has 30 lakh individuals in the age group 10-17 years who consume alcohol, with a prevalence of 1.3 per cent.
- In the same age group, 20 lakh individuals use cannabis, a prevalence of 0.9 per cent, while 40 lakh users (1.8 per cent) use opioids.
- Sedatives and inhalant users number 20 lakh (0.58 per cent) and 30 lakh (1.17 per cent) respectively.
- Additionally, there are over 4 lakh Amphetamine-Type Stimulants (ATS) users (0.18 per cent), followed by 2 lakh cocaine users (0.06 per cent) and 2 lakh users of hallucinogens (0.07 per cent).
- The ministry has formulated and is implementing a National Action Plan for Drug Demand Reduction (NAPDDR) for 2018-25.