Mains Paper 2: Governance | Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: SCATFORM Project, JICA
Mains level: SCATFORM Project
- Tripura has launched a project for Sustainable Catchment Forest Management at Hatipara in West Tripura.
Sustainable Catchment Forest Management (SCATFORM) Project
- The project is jointly funded by the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) and Government of India.
- It aims to improve quality of forest in the catchment area by sustainable forest management, soil and moisture conservation and livelihood development.
- The Tripura Forest Department (TFD) is the Executing Agency of the Project.
- Eighty per cent of the project would be funded by JICA while Government of India would fund 20 per cent of the project value.
- The SCATFORM project has got provisions to built 1,447 check dams in hilly terrains of Tripura.
- This new project has got many components including fisheries, agriculture, forest, tourism etc.
- 1,447 check dams would be constructed in hilly terrains of the state to make sure that there is no chance of a flood in the plains.
- The water this conserved would be used for agricultural purposes and for fisheries and poultry farming (ducks).
- Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) is established by a specific law as an incorporated administrative institution under the Government of Japan.
- It aims to promote international cooperation as the sole Japanese governmental agency in charge of ODA implementation.
- JICA is the world’s largest bilateral donor agency.
- JICA works as a bridge between Japan and emerging countries, and provides assistance in the form of loans, grants and technical cooperation, so that the emerging countries can strengthen their capabilities.
- JICA funded projects became operational in Tripura in 2007 with an initial earmarked fund of Rs. 4 crores.