From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Kaniyan Pungundranar
Mains level : Sangam Literature
- Seeking collective efforts to address serious global challenges, PM Modi invoked famous Tamil philosopher and poet Kaniyan Pungundranar’s quotes at the 74th session of the UN General Assembly in New York.
Who is Kaniyan Pungundranar?
- Kaniyan Poongunranar, also known as Poongundranar, was an influential Tamil philosopher from the Sangam age.
- Born and brought up at Mahibalanpatti village of Tamil Nadu’s Sivaganga district, Poongunranar laid down the principles of his version of natural law, throughout the poem ‘Way of Order’.
- He composed two poems in Puṟanāṉūṟu and Natrinai.
- Poongundranar’s “Yathum Oore“, which was declared as the theme song of the 10th World Tamil Conference scheduled in Chicago, is now depicted in the United Nations Organisation.
- In the poem, Poongundrana had rejected the division of mankind into various categories, urging people across the world to be bound by one.
- Poongundranar was extremely influential in the revivalist Self-respect movement.
Yaadhum Oore Yaavarum Kelir
- Quoting Pungundranar’s 3000-year-old quotes, PM gave a mention about his famous poem – “Yaadhum Oore Yaavarum Kelir“, which means “We belong to all places, and to everyone”.
- This sense of belonging beyond borders is unique to India, PM added.