From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Treaty of Purandar
Mains level : Not Much
- A movie is being released on Tanaji Malusare who is popularly remembered in Maharashtra for the Battle of Sinhagad that took place in the year 1670.
Battle of Sinhagad, 1670
- In the year 1665, the Treaty of Purandar was signed between Jai Singh and Shivaji.
- Amongst several demands, the treaty had required the Maratha ruler to give up Fort Kondhana to the Mughals.
- Located near Pune, the fort was one of the most heavily fortified and of high strategic importance.
- After it was taken over by the Mughals, the fort was guarded by Rajput, Pathan and Arab troop guards and was said to be impenetrable.
- The idea of Mughals taking control of the fort is said to have deeply disturbed and enraged Shivaji’s mother Jijabai.
- Upon knowing this, Shivaji entrusted Tanaji, the only man he could think of capable of reconquering the fort Kondhana at any cost.
- A fierce battle is said have taken place between the Rathore and Tanaji. The two clashed for long. Malusare was gravely wounded in the fight and died
- Enraged by the death of their general, the Marathas fought under the leadership of his brother, Suryaji Malusare, and eventually vanquished the enemy.
- The fort was renamed as Singhagad (lion’s fort) by Shivaji to honour Tanaji.