Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Particulars of the UGC
Mains level: World Ranking of Indian Top Institutions is very high. It is a good step to counter this issue.
Exemption from UGC’s Review Mechanism
- According to the HRD Ministry, the top 20 per cent of higher education institutions in the country deserved more autonomy
- And the government would work towards exempting them from UGC’s review mechanism
How will it be done?
All higher education institutions will be divided into three categories
- The top 20 per cent enjoying greater academic freedom
- The next 40 per cent with relatively more regulations
- The remaining 40 per cent that will remain under the UGC’s regulatory control
- The top 20 per cent will be chosen on the basis of the NAAC grading system scores
- The plan to set up 20 world-class institutions, 10 government-run and 10 private
- The 20 will be known as “institutions of eminence”