Mains Paper 1 : Urbanization, Their Problems & Remedies |
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : About the index
Mains level : Vehicular Traffic in India
- A recent study has ranked Mumbai as the most traffic-congested city in the world for the second straight year, and Delhi at fourth place.
Traffic Index 2018
- The findings published are part of the Traffic Index 2018 published by TomTom, an Amsterdam-based company.
- It offers traffic solutions, uses location technology to collect traffic information, and has been publishing city rankings for eight years.
- The index factors for peak hours, accidents, inclement weather, construction work and all other factors likely to cause disruptions.
- The latest index ranks 403 cities across 56 countries, including 13 new cities.
- For this study, congestion has been defined in terms of the additional time taken to reach a destination as opposed to when the road would have been clear of traffic.
- Mumbai’s 2018 congestion level of of 65%, therefore, means that the extra travel time is 65% more than an average trip would take during uncongested conditions.
- For Delhi, by the same yardstick, the extra travel time is 58% more.
Around the world
- Nearly 75% of the cities part of the 2018 index had increased or stable congestion levels between 2017 and 2018, with only 90 cities showing measurable decreases, states the report.
- Congestion in Jakarta, for example, decreased by 8 percentage points while that in Lima rose by the same number of points.