From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : About the Index
Mains level : Development of Tourism in India
- A report released by the World Economic Forum (WEF) ranking the travel & tourism competitiveness of 140 economies was recently released.
About the Index
- Published biennially by WEF, Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Report and Index benchmarks the Travel & Tourism (T&T) competitiveness of 140 economies.
- The study scored countries on four indicators — enabling environment; travel and tourism policy and enabling conditions; infrastructure; natural and cultural rankings.
- The four broad indicators looked at 14 variables, which were further subdivided into 90 indicators such as property rights, efficiency of the legal framework, quality of electricity supply, female labour force participation, visa requirements and the number of World Heritage cultural sites.
- The biennial report shows that India has made the greatest improvement since 2017 among the top 25 per cent of the countries that were previously ranked.
- Overall, India is ranked 34, up six places from 2017.
- India’s highest improvement was in enabling environment, by 10 places to 98.
- The least improvement is in infrastructure as well as in natural and cultural rankings, by just three places each, but India’s rank was already high in the latter.
- Spain, France, Germany, Japan and the United States are the world’s most travel-ready nations.
- Japan remains Asia’s most competitive travel and tourism economy, ranking 4th globally.
- China is the largest travel and tourism economy in Asia-Pacific and 13th most competitive globally.