Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Particulars of the TB
Mains level: Government aim of eliminating TB by 20125
Directions to Private hospitals
- The union health ministry has asked private hospitals to notify it all cases of the disease reported in their facilities
- The government is aiming to eliminate tuberculosis (TB) by 2025
Why this direction?
- The aim is to check under-reporting of tuberculosis, which has been flagged as a major area of concern by UN health agency World Health Organisation (WHO)
Other steps by the government
- The ministry will also set up two 24X7 call centres — in Maharashtra and Uttar Pradesh — so that patients can avail all information related to the disease by calling up these toll free numbers
- The ministry has also roped in the Indian Medical Association for further sensitisation of the health institutions
Level of TB in India
- According to a report by the WHO, despite the reduction, India topped the list of seven countries accounting for 64% of the 10.4 million new tuberculosis cases worldwide in 2016
- India along with China and Russia accounted for almost of half of the 490,000, multi drug-resistant TB (MDR- TB) cases registered in 2016