From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Tulagi Island
Mains level : Chinese ambitious naval expansion
- China is leasing an entire Pacific Island named Tulagi in the Solomon Islands. This has sparked worldwide concerns.
- Tulagi is a small island (5.5 km x 1 km, area 2,08 km²) in Solomon Islands, just off the south coast of Ngella Sule.
- The town of the same name on the island was the capital of the British Solomon Islands Protectorate from 1896 to 1942 and is today the capital of the Central Province.
- The capital of what is now the state of Solomon Islands moved to Honiara, Guadalcanal, after World War II.
- The island was originally chosen by the British as a comparatively isolated and healthier alternative to the disease-ridden larger islands of the Solomon Islands archipelago.