Mains Paper 2: IR | Important International institutions, agencies & fora, their structure, mandate
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Particulars of the compact
Mains level: Problem of illegal migration
“Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration” is underway
- For the first time ever, United Nations member states, except the U.S., have agreed on a deal to better manage international migration, address its challenges, strengthen migrant rights and contribute to sustainable development.
- The agreement will be formally adopted by world leaders in Morocco in December 2018.
- It held more than a year of discussions and consultations among member states, local officials, civil society and migrants themselves.
- It does not encourage migration, nor does it aim to stop it. It is not legally binding.
- This comprehensive framework comprises a range of objectives, actions and avenues for implementation, follow-up and review, all aimed at facilitating safe, orderly and regular migration while reducing the incidence and impact of irregular migration.
The new horizon of multilateralism
- It reflects the shared understanding by governments that cross-border migration is an international phenomenon and that effective management of this global reality requires international cooperation to enhance its positive impact for all.
- It also recognises that every individual has the right to safety, dignity and protection.
- It does not dictate. And it fully respects the sovereignty of States.
- This compact demonstrates our ability to come together on issues that demand global collaboration, however complicated and contentious they may be.
- The implementation of the Compact will bring safety, order and economic progress to everyone’s benefit.