Mains Paper 3: Internal Security | Various Security forces & agencies & their mandate
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Dial FIR Scheme, Criminal Data Dossier
Mains level: Policing Reforms through technology initiatives
Dial FIR Scheme
- The Uttar Pradesh Police are set to launch a first of its kind dial-FIR scheme in the country where a common man can register regular crimes without going to a police station.
- Besides this, they are also expanding the counter-terror combat and response grid in the State by training over 100 fresh commandos in special skills including a maiden batch of women personnel.
Online Dossier of Criminals
- To combat crime, an online dossier of criminals in the state has also been prepared.
- The investigating officers in various districts of the state will be given 22,000 new i-pads soon on which we have fed a dossier of over 1-lakh small and big criminals.
- Once they reach a crime spot they will show photos of the probable suspects of the area and other places, based on initial leads.
- Criminal details from the jail department will enrich this database.
- This dossier would help in solving a case fast as the suspects can be identified quickly.
- P. is the only second state to prepare such a localised online criminal database after Punjab.
Why such move?
- UP Police were getting almost 20,000 events every day over UP 100 (police emergency number) on call.
- Everything that is reported to U.P. 100 relates to certain categories of crime that includes cases like those of vehicle theft.
- For such crimes, one can dial the emergency number and file an FIR, a call-based FIR.
- This will be like a regular FIR, under similar sections of IPC, and people need not come to the police station to get a case registered.