From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Golden Visa Scheme
Mains level : Indian diaspora in UAE
- The United Arab Emirates has launched a permanent residency scheme to woo wealthy individuals and exceptional talents, a move that could attract more Indian professionals and businessmen to the Gulf nation.
Golden Card Programme
- The “Golden Card” programme is open to investors and “exceptional talents” such as doctors, engineers, scientists, students and artists.
- The visa categories include:
- General investors who will be granted a 10 years visa
- Real estate investors, who can get a visa for 5 years Visa
- Entrepreneurs and talented professionals such as doctors, researchers and innovators: 10 years Visa
- Outstanding students — will also be permitted residency visas for 5 years
- All categories of visas can be renewed upon expiry.
Benefits of the move
- The new initiative will attract greater foreign investment and stimulate the local economy, making it more efficient and attractive for investors.
- It will also increase the UAE’s competitiveness and reaffirms the country’s position as a global incubator.
- The benefits of the permanent residency also include the spouse and children of the cardholder to ensure cohesive social ties.
Benefits for India
- The Indian expatriate community is reportedly the largest ethnic community in the UAE, constituting roughly about 30 per cent of the country’s population of around nine million.
- Though most of the Indians living in the UAE are employed, about 10 per cent of the Indian population constitutes dependent family members, according to the Indian Embassy.