Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, nanotechnology, biotechnology
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Particulars of the Vikas Engine
Mains level: All missions of the ISRO are important from examination point of view.
Adding more thrust
- The Vikas engine will improve the payload capability of PSLV, GSLV and GSLV Mk-III launch vehicles.
- The space agency has improved the thrust of the Vikas engine that powers all of them.
Main beneficiary: GSLV Mk III
- The main beneficiary of the high-thrust Vikas engine is said to be the heavy-lifting GSLV-Mark III launcher, which ISRO expects will now put 4,000-kg satellites to space.
- This would be the third Mk-III and the first working one to be designated Mk III Mission-1 or M1.
- The first MkIII of June 2017 started with a 3,200-kg satellite and the second one is being readied for lifting a 3,500-kg spacecraft.
- The Vikas engine is used in the second stage of the light lifting PSLV; the second stage and the four add-on stages of the medium-lift GSLV; and the twin-engine core liquid stage of Mk-III.
Soon to be replaced
- ISRO will phase out Vikas by replacing it first in Mk-III with a cleaner and safer semi-cryogenic engine.
- The semi-cryo engine is ready for trial; its stage has just been approved