From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : DTTI, STA-1
Mains level : India-US defence cooperation
- The ninth India-US Defence Technologies and Trade Initiative (DTTI) group meeting is scheduled to happen in New Delhi next week.
- DTTI came about to expedite the scope of cooperation on defence technology that become narrow due to the presence of differing bureaucratic processes and legal requirements.
- Essentially, DTTI is an initiative to provide increased US senior level oversight and engagement to get beyond these obstacles.
- It is led by Undersecretary of Defence for Acquisition and Sustainment from the United States and Secretary for Defence Protection.
What are its aims?
- While DTTI is not a treaty or law, it is a flexible mechanism to make sure that senior leaders from both countries are engaged consistently to strengthen the opportunities in the field of defence.
- Its central aims include strengthening India’s defence industrial base, exploring new areas of technological development and expanding U.S.-India business ties.
- India’s defence industry was in a growing stage and that India was looking to acquire niche technology in manufacturing defence weapons and equipment.
- In August 2018, the US granted to India the designation of Strategic Trade Authority Tier 1 or STA-1.
- This is providing India with greater supply-chain efficiency by allowing US companies to export a greater range of dual-use and high-technology items to India under streamlined processes.
- This authorisation is the equivalent of NATO allying with Japan, South Korea and Australia.