From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : NATO
Mains level : India-US strategic relationship
- The U.S. Senate has passed a legislative provision that brings India at par with America’s NATO allies and countries like Israel and South Korea for increasing defence cooperation.
How will it benefit India?
- The act provides for increased U.S.-India defence cooperation in the Indian Ocean in the areas of humanitarian assistance, counterterrorism, counter-piracy and maritime security.
- It will clear the way to provide state-of-the-art weapons and sensitive technology to India.
- It will make India a big associate of US in defence deals also it will increase India’s status.
- Earlier, the US-India had signed Communication, Compatibility and Security Agreement (COMCASA) in 2018 for sharing sensitive information.
- The North Atlantic Treaty Organization, also called the North Atlantic Alliance, is an intergovernmental military alliance between 29 North American and European countries.
- It is based on the North Atlantic Treaty that was signed on 4 April 1949.
- NATO constitutes a system of collective defence whereby its independent member states agree to mutual defence in response to an attack by any external party.
Assist this newscard with: