Mains Paper 2| Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: H1B visa basics
Mains level: Indo-US Relations
The article tells us that the premium processing of the H1B visas for the US has resumed.
What is H1B Visa-
- It is a visa which allows US employers to employ foreign workers in specialised areas of work that require theoretical and technical expertise.
- As mandated by the US Congress (part of Parliament of the US) every year USCIS (United States Citizen & Immigration Service) can issue a maximum of 65,000 H1B visas and 20,000 to those who have earned higher education in STEM subjects (Science, Tech, Engg. and Maths) from a US higher educational institution.
- H1B visas for academic and research institutes are exempted from the Congressional mandated limit.
- The premium processing or expedited processing (processed within 15 days) of H1B visas was suspended in April to handle huge rush in applications.
- The Trump administration believes that the H1B visas have been misused by companies to replace American workers.