Mains Paper 3: Economy | Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: DigiYatra initiative
Mains level: Government interventions in the civil aviation sector in recent years and its impact on overall transportation sector
Digi Yatra Facility
- A mere facial scan will soon enable air travellers to skip long queues and zip through various check points at airports in the country.
- The Centre is set to introduce the “Digi Yatra” facility to start with at the Hyderabad and Bengaluru airports in February 2019.
- The facility which is voluntary would require passengers to initially register themselves at a web portal by providing an identity proof.
- The travellers would then be required to undergo a one-time verification at an airport.
- Following which, the individual’s facial identity would be captured and mapped onto a newly created “Digi Yatra” profile and a distinct identification number would be generated.
- Passengers would then have to provide this identification number at the time of purchasing an air ticket, to avail the paperless access facility.
- The passenger’s travel history would be “purged” after the completion of a journey and that the “Digi Yatra” programme would comply with the European Union’s Data Protection Regulation.
Scan a QR code
- The facility would enable travellers to enter the airport building by scanning a QR code on their mobile phones, after undergoing facial recognition.
- Once inside the airport, a passenger would be able to self check-in, drop baggage, pass through e-gates to access security and embarkation areas with just a facial scan, thus obviating the need to produce a boarding pass at every step.
- However the travellers would still have to undergo mandatory security checks including frisking.
- The web portal is scheduled to be ready by February 2019 and Hyderabad and Bengaluru airports would be the first to implement the digital processing of passengers.
- The facility would thereafter be also made available at four other airports of Kolkata, Varanasi, Vijayawada and Pune.