Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Particulars of the UGC
Mains level: Important step taken by the UGC and Government to increase the level of Higher Education in the country.
Announcement from the University Grants Commission
- The UGC has announced the beginning of a 90-day application process for universities(both public and private) to seek the status of institutions of eminence
- This status will provide them freedom from the regular regulatory mechanisms
- Twenty institutions(10 public and 10 private) will be given this status with the aim to give them freedom to become world-class institutions
Strategy and Aim of the Plan
- The 10 state-run institutions will have an additional benefit provision of Rs. 10,000 crore over a period of 10 years, over and above the regular grants
- The aim of the scheme is to help institutions break into the top 500 global rankings in 10 years, and then break into the top 100 over time
Eligibility for applying for the scheme
- Institutions in the top 50 of (1) the National Institute Ranking Framework rankings or (2) those who have secured ranking among top 500 of the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, QS University Rankings or (3) Shanghai Ranking Academic Ranking of World Universities are eligible to apply