From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Village Secretariat Programme
Mains level : Strengthening Panchayat Raj enforcement
- The Andhra Pradesh government launched its Village Secretariat programme, under which 1.26 lakh new government employees will begin working.
Village Secretariat Programme
- Under the new system, the AP government, one Village Secretariat has been set up for every population of 2,000, with each one comprising close to a dozen village officials from various departments like police, revenue, etc.
- The idea behind it is to ensure that its services reach people on the ground, and also to strengthen the existing Panchayat Raj system.
- The cost of hiring about 1.26 lakh new employees is going to be roughly about ₹2,200 crore a year for the AP government.
- Aside from this, the state has also hired another two lakh Village Volunteers, with each of them being paid ₹5,000 per month.
- Their job will to assist people in availing government services (each volunteer to look after 50 households).