Mains Paper 3: Indian Economy| Issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development and employment.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Particulars of the Vision Document
Mains level: Development initiatives for North-Eastern Region
- Union IT Minister released the ‘Vision Document’ for a digital North East by 2022 that aims to enhance peoples’ lives by capacity building of government staff and doubling BPO (business process outsourcing) strength in the region
- The Vision Document aims to empower the people of the North Eastern region and state-wise roadmaps have been developed for implementing digital initiatives.
Particulars of Vision Document
- The document emphasises leveraging digital technologies to transform lives of people of the North East and enhance the ease of living
- A cloud hub for NE will be created in Guwahati and capacity building for 50,000 government staff will be taken up in using digital technologies, including Goods and Services Tax and payment platforms
- The number of seats planned for BPOs in the NE states will be doubled to 10,000 from 5,000, while the network of common service centres will be expanded to cover all villages
- High-speed broadband connectivity in all the uncovered villages in the NE region shall be provided.
Focus on 8 thrust areas
The document identifies eight digital thrust areas
- digital infrastructure
- digital services
- digital empowerment
- promotion of electronics manufacturing
- promotion of IT and IT-enabled services including BPOs
- digital payments
- innovation & startups, and