From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Water Quality Report
Mains level : Issues with potable water in India
A report ranking major cities on the basis of quality of tap water was recently released by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS).
Delhi fares the worst
- If it wasn’t enough that Delhi air is among the world’s most polluted, a new study has now shown that the city’s tap water is the most unsafe among 21 State capitals.
- The national capital is at the very bottom of the list.
- It is among 13 cities, including Kolkata, Chennai, Bengaluru, Jaipur and Lucknow, where all tested samples failed to meet the BIS norms for piped drinking water.
- In fact, Mumbai is the only city where all samples of tap water met all the tested parameters under the Indian Standard 10500:2012 (specification for drinking water) so far.
Why such report?
- Under its flagship Jal Jeevan Mission, the Centre aims to provide safe piped water to all households by 2024.
- However, the study, conducted by the BIS for the Union Food and Consumer Affairs Ministry, showed that even in urban areas, which are connected to the piped water network, there is no guarantee that the water is safe for consumption.
- While it is mandatory for bottled water manufacturers to meet quality standards, the BIS standard is voluntary for the public agencies which supply and distribute piped water.