From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Bakrid festival
Mains level : Nothing much
- Id–ul–Azha is the commemoration of sacrifice by Prophet Hazrath Ibrahim
- It is celebrated the world over by the Muslims annually on the 10th of the Islamic month of Zilhaj
- One night Hazrath Ibrahim saw in a vision that he was sacrificing his only son Ismail. It was a dream and in reality, it was an order from Allah which demanded sacrifice from both the father and the son.
- Hazrath Ibrahim consulted his son Hazrath Ismail readily consented.
- The rising sun of the 10th of Zilhaj saw the scene of a father preparing to sacrifice his son in obedience to his Maker.
- Hazrath Ibrahim walked towards the hill of Marwa along with Ismail. He laid him down, blindfolded himself and got ready to perform the sacrifice.
- Disappointment flooded through Ibrahim as the thoughts finally took shape. He saw his son Ismail standing, his eyes sparkling with vitality and a smile on his tranquil face. Hazrath Ibrahim construed that his sacrifice had been rejected.
- Allah requires our will and devotion and sacrificing the goat is one of the rites of the Haj to be performed by every Muslim who can afford it.