Mains Paper 1: Freedom Struggle| Various stages and important contributors /contributions from different parts of the country.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Contribution of Pingali Venkayya
Mains level: Read the attached story
The story of Indian Flag
- Pingali Venkayya was a freedom fighter and the designer of the Indian National Tricolour who went on to become synonymous with the spirit of free and independent India.
- Venkayya earlier served as a soldier in the British Army in South Africa during the Anglo Boer war in Africa.
- A firm believer in Gandhian principles and an ardent nationalist, Venkayya met the Mahatma during the war.
- Between 1918 and 1921, Venkayya raised the issue of having an own flag in every session of the Congress. Back then, he was working as a lecturer in the Andhra National College in Machilipatnam.
- He met the Mahatma once again in Vijayawada and showed him his publication with the various designs of the flag.
- Acknowledging the need for a national flag, Gandhi then asked Venkayya to design a fresh one at the national congress meeting in 1921.
- Initially, Venkayya came up with saffron and green colours, but it later evolved with a spinning wheel at the centre and a third colour-white.
- The flag was officially adopted by the Indian National Congress in 1931.