Mains Paper 3: Agriculture | Different types of irrigation and irrigation systems
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project, Rivers involved in it.
Mains level: Read the attached story
What’s the project?
- The Kaleshwaram project is an off-shoot of the original Pranahitha-Chevella Lift Irrigation Scheme taken up by the government in 2007 when Andhra Pradesh was not divided.
- After conducting a highly advanced Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) survey for a couple of months, the government separated the original component serving the Adilabad area as the Pranahitha project.
- The project is designed to irrigate 7,38,851 hectares (over 18.47 lakh acres) uplands in the erstwhile districts of Karimnagar, Nizamabad, Warangal, Medak, Nalgonda and Ranga Reddy.
Why is it Unique?
- Claimed to be the costliest irrigation project to be taken up by any State till date with an estimated cost of ₹80,500 crore.
- KLIP has many unique features, including the longest tunnel to carry water in Asia, running up to 81 km, between the Yellampally barrage and the Mallannasagar reservoir.
- The project would also utilize the highest capacity pumps, up to 139 MW, in the country to lift water.