From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Windrush Scheme
Mains level : Changing visa norms across the world and its implication on Indians
- UK has issued another personal apology for the Windrush scandal, involving migrants being wrongly denied their British citizenship rights.
- A latest official update revealed that hundreds more Indians were confirmed as British Citizens.
- The Windrush Scheme enables Commonwealth citizens, their children, and some other long term residents of the UK to obtain documentation confirming their status free of charge.
- The Windrush generation refers to citizens of former British colonies who arrived before 1973, when the rights of such Commonwealth citizens to live and work in Britain were substantially curtailed.
- While a large proportion of them were of Jamaican/Caribbean descent who came on the ship Windrush, Indians and other South Asians were also affected by the UK government’s handling of their immigration status.
- A total of 737 Indians have been able to confirm their status in the wake of the scandal involving Commonwealth nationals wrongly denied their citizenship rights in Britain.
- A majority of them (559) had arrived in the UK before 1973, when the immigration rules had changed, while the others either arrived later or were a family member of the so-called “Windrush generation”.
Posted on | The Times Of India