Mains Paper 1 : Population & Associated Issues |
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : World Population Prospects 2019
Mains level : Demographic transition
- According to ‘The World Population Prospects 2019’, by 2027, India is projected to surpass China as the world’s most populous country.
- Some of the key takeaways are as follows:
Global population on rise
- The global population is projected to increase by another 2 billion people by 2050, from 7.7 billion in 2019 to 9.7 billion thirty years down the line.
- By the end of the century, the world population is set to peak at a level of about 11 billion.
- India is expected to remain the world’s most populous country with nearly 1.5 billion inhabitants, followed by China at 1.1 billion, Nigeria with 733 million, the United States with 434 million, and Pakistan with 403 million.
- In 2019, India has an estimated population of 1.37 billion and China 1.43 billion and by 2027, India’s population is projected to surpass China’s.
- India is also expected to add 273 million people by 2050 and will remain the most populated until the end of the century.
More in 65+ bracket
- In India, children under age five still outnumber the over-65 population, who are projected to overtake the under-five group between 2025 and 2030.
- By 2050, persons over age 65 will make up about one-seventh of India’s population. By then, the 15-24 group in India (13.8%), too, will outnumber the over-65 group (13.6%).
- Children under age five are projected to constitute less than 6% of India’s population in 2050, as compared to 7% globally.