Mains Paper 2: Governance | Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Not much
Mains level: Data protection has more important after the recent judgement of the SC on the Right to Privacy
What did the SC say?
- The SC has urged the government to put in place a robust mechanism for data protection
- According to the SC, dangers to personal data originate not only from the government but also from private players
Panel report and Government’s stand on the issue
- The Centre has undertaken in the court that the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology would work with the panel(constituted by Government)
- Government will hand over all necessary information to it within the next eight weeks, after which the latter will start its deliberations
- The government has already indicated in the court that the panel is framing a data protection Bill similar to the “technology-neutral” draft Privacy Bill
- This bill was submitted by an earlier expert committee to the Planning Commission of India in 2012