From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : NIDHI EIR
Mains level : Not Much
A brochure featuring Entrepreneurs in Residence (EIR) under the National Initiative for Developing and Harnessing Innovations (NIDHI) programme was launched by Dept. of Science and Technology (DST).
Try this MCQ:
Q.The NIDHI-EIR Programme sometimes seen in news functions under the:
a)Ministry of Science & Technology
b)Ministry of Commerce and Industry
c)Ministry of Finance
d)Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises
- DST has announced a National Initiative for Developing and Harnessing Innovations (NIDHI) is an umbrella programme for nurturing ideas and innovations into successful startups.
- EIR programme is one of the programs introduced under NIDHI to inspire the best talents to be entrepreneurs, to minimise the risk involved in pursuing start-ups, and to partially set off their opportunity costs of high paying jobs.
- It provides tremendous opportunities for innovative entrepreneurs to expand their networks and get critical feedback on their ventures in order to promote their entrepreneurial career goals and aspirations.
The opportunities under NIDHI-EIR program include:
- Guidance from experienced, innovative and highly successful entrepreneurs on the business concept, strategy or venture and insight into specific industries or markets.
- Best practices for starting a business and broaden the professional network.
- Co-working spaces for developing the idea into a marketable product.