From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Global Innovation Index
Mains level : Innovation ecosystem in India
India has climbed 4 spots and has been ranked 48thby the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) in the Global Innovation Index 2020 rankings.
Try this PYQ from CSP 2016:
Q.India’s ranking in the ‘Ease of Doing Business Index’ is sometimes seen in the news. Which of the following has declared that ranking?
a) Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
b) World Economic Forum
c) World Bank
d) World Trade Organization (WTO)
About the Global Innovation Index
- The GII is an annual ranking of countries by their capacity for, and success in, innovation. It was started in 2007 by INSEAD and World Business a British magazine.
- It is published by Cornell University, INSEAD, and the WIPO, in partnership with other organisations and institutions.
- It is based on both subjective and objective data derived from several sources, including the International Telecommunication Union, the World Bank and the World Economic Forum.
- The GII is commonly used by corporate and government officials to compare countries by their level of innovation.
- The theme of the 2019 GII is Creating Healthy Lives – The Future of Medical Innovation, which aims to explore the role of medical innovation as it shapes the future of healthcare.
Components of GII
Five input pillars capture elements of the national economy that enable innovative activities under GII are:
- Human capital and research,
- Market sophistication, and
- Business sophistication.
Two output pillars capture actual evidence of innovation outputs:
- Knowledge and technology outputs and
- Creative outputs
India’s performance this year
- In midst of the COVID -19 pandemic, it comes as uplifting news for India and is a testament of its robust R&D Ecosystem.
- India was at the 52nd position in 2019 and was ranked 81st in the year 2015.
- The WIPO had also accepted India as one of the leading innovation achievers of 2019 in the central and southern Asian region, as it has shown a consistent improvement in its innovation ranking for the last 5 years.