From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Pink Supermoon
Mains level : NA
A supermoon is all scheduled to show up in the sky on April 7. It would be the biggest and brightest full moon of 2020.
- According to NASA, a supermoon takes place when a full moon is at its closest to the Earth.
- When the full moon appears at perigee (closest point from the earth) it is slightly brighter and larger than a regular full moon — and that is what we call a “supermoon.”
- They are called Supermoons because they are 7 per cent bigger and 15 per cent brighter, compared to an average full Moon.
- The moon will not be originally pink in colour. It got its name from the pink wildflowers – Wild Ground Phlox – that bloom in the spring and are native to North America.
- It is also called Paschal moon because, in the Christian calendar, this is used to calculate the date for Easter – the first Sunday after the Paschal Moon is Easter Sunday.