GS II (Structure, organization and functioning of the Executive and the Judiciary)
The decline in political discourse is evident in the language and imagery used by politicians to belittle their rivals. Judiciary has failed to rein in such people. Discuss.
Kunal Aggarwal wrote the best answer for this question and got a score of 4.5/10. The answer is being reproduced below for everyone’s convenience. Of course these answers can always be improved. (Best answer of a particular only involves those given on that day, later answers may not have been checked)
Political discourse has been deteriorating which is evidence from language an imagery used by politicians against each other. The language used by CM of Delhi Arvind Kejriwal while blaming PM Modi and other politicians , BJP MP recently about Sh. Sachin Pilot are at the lowest level or political discourse. The trolls on social media have become common these days.
It impacts the society:
– No discussion on real issues like poverty, food etc.
– Degrades the moral values in society
– Reduces their time to work for administration and work on important issues
There have been recourse to Defamation cases by some politicians against these incidents. However, most of them have not helped to improve the situation. Judiciary has failed to curb this as:
– There are high number of pending cases and it takes time to solve these cases
– No single concrete law on curbing such discourse
– While various sections of IPC like 294, 351 can be invoked, politicians generally escape the system due to their power and connections
Taking the impact in consideration, it is important to take steps to improve situation:
1. RPA Act should be amended to include this kind of discourse as an offence
2. Strengthen judiciary by filling vacancies and increasing posts
3. ECI should be strengthened to take immediate action