From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : MICE tourism
Mains level : Various initiaitves tourism promotion
Gujarat CM has announced the tourism policy for 2021-25, seeking to position the state as the country’s foremost tourist destination, with a focus on investment and livelihood opportunities.
The policy seeks to make Gujarat a hub of “MICE” tourism.
Q. Given the vital importance of the tourism industry in the Indian economy, there is a need to address underneath challenges and adopt a suitable policy for overall growth. Discuss the need for a comprehensive National Tourism Policy.
What is MICE tourism?
- The acronym “MICE” stands for “Meetings, Incentives, Conferences and Exhibitions”, and is essentially a version of business tourism that draws domestic and international tourists to a destination.
- The policy aims to make Gujarat one of the top five MICE tourism destinations in the country.
How does the policy proposals to attract MICE tourism?
- To incentivise international events, the government has announced an assistance of Rs 5,000 to the event organizer per foreign participant staying overnight, subject to an upper limit of Rs 5 lakh.
- For domestic events, the policy promises financial assistance of Rs 2 lakh per event, capped at three events per organizer per year.
- For Gujarat to emerge as a venue of big national and international conferences, large convention centres are required.
- The policy promises special incentives for building big convention centres, including 15% capital subsidy on the eligible capital investment.
- The government has also promised land on the lease if required.
- A precondition to avail the incentive is that the convention centre should have at least one hall that can seat a minimum of 2,500 persons.
Why is there a specific focus on MICE tourism?
- MICE events are major tourism generators, and there is significant scope to tap into it.
- By incentivizing the organising of MICE events and construction of convention centres in Gujarat, we are trying to plug the gaps.
- The organizer of an international event can prolong the stay of guests by one or two days, and visitors can visit tourist attractions, of which Gujarat has many.