One of these questions would have application of Tikdams. Tikdams are smart hacks which help you arrive at the right answer with basic knowledge. Broadly speaking, there are 2 types:
- Elimination Tikdams: Extrapolate your basic knowledge to eliminate options which appear out of context. Zero down on 2 choices and then mark the question as per your risk appetite
- Estimation Tikdams: Read the question well and work out the answer from within the options – Most of the times UPSC plays with words or embeds clues within the question. A smart aspirant figures them out!
Q.1) Consider the following statement about Crypto-currency
1. Founded as a peer-to-peer electronic payment system, cryptocurrencies enable transfer of money between parties, without going through a banking system.
2. These employ cryptographic algorithms and functions to ensure anonymity (privacy) of the users (who are identified by an alphanumeric public key), security of the transactions and integrity of the payment systems.
3. Crypto-currencies have been banned in India.
Which of the following statement is correct?
a) All the above
b) 1 and 3
c) 1 and 2
d) 2 and 3
The second statement of the question is bit technical and it will be difficult for a non-science student to guess the correctness of the statement. However using Tikdam technique you will be able to solve this tough question without even knowing the first 2statements.Let us explain why?
BitCoin cannot be banned as its not owned by any government. BitCoin is more like a democratic currency which is of the people, for the people and by the people. At most it could be regulated. If you would have been following news you must be aware with the fact that Government has recently appointed a committee to give suggestions regarding regulation of BITCOINS. If Government would have banned BITCOINS it would have been a very big news. Thus using a bit of common sense you can eliminate statement 3 and once you do that you will automatically get the answer using elimination method.
Q.2) With reference to the ‘Trans-Neptunian Objects (TNOs)’, consider the following statements:
1. They are the objects orbiting Neptune.
2. TNOs are icy worlds.
Which of the satements given above is/are correct?
a) 2 only
b) 1 only
c) Neither 1 nor 2
d) Both 1 and 2
Q.3) With reference to Petcoke which of the following statements is/are correct?
1. It is made from Crude Oil Refining process.
2. It is also produced in the production of synthetic crude oil.
Select the correct opiton using the codes given below.
a) Neither 1 nor 2
b) 2 only
c) 1 only
d) Both 1 and 2
Q.4) The International North South Transport Corridor (INSTC) was initiated by which of the following countries?
Select the correct option using the codes given below.
a) 1, 2, 3 and 4
b) 3 and 4 only
c) 1, 2 and 4 only
d) 1, 2 and 3only
Q.5) The “Golden Quadrilateral” project, which is an infrastructure project sometimes seen news, is related to
Q.6) The Lahore session of the Indian nat. congress 1929 is very important in history because
1. the congress passed a resolution demanding complete independence
2. rift between the extremists and moderates was resolved in that session
3. a resolution was passed rejecting two nation theory in that session
Which of the statements given above is/ are correct?
a) 1 only
b) 2 and 3
c) 1 and 3
d) None of the above
Q.7) Lord Buddha’s image is sometimes shown with the hand gesture called “Bhumiparsh Mudra”. it symbolizes
a) Buddha’s calling of the earth to watch over Mara and to prevent Mara from disturbing his meditation
b) Buddha’s calling of the earth to witness his purity and chastity despite the temptations of Mara
c) Buddha’s reminder to his followers that they all arise from the earth and finally dissolve into the earth and thus this life is transitory
d) both a and b are correct.
Q.8) The religion of early Vedic Aryans was primarily of
b) image worship and yajnas
c) worship of nature and yajnas
d) worship of nature and bhakti
1. Daily newscards have been enriched with back2basics and note2students – Make notes daily
2. Liked Tikdams? Join our Flagship TS which helps you perfect this approach – Flagship Prelims for IAS 2018
3. For attempting previous Prelims Daily Questions – Click here