From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Nominated members in Rajya Sabha
Mains level : Functioning of Rajya Sabha
Olympic sprinter PT Usha and music composer Ilaiyaraaja among others have been nominated to the Rajya Sabha in the category of eminent persons nominated by the President.
Nominated Members in RS
- Twelve members are nominated to the RS by the President of India for six-year term.
- This is for their contributions towards arts, literature, sciences, and social services.
- This right has been bestowed upon the President according to the Fourth Schedule under Articles 4(1) and 80(2) of the Constitution of India.
- The present strength is 245 members of whom 233 are representatives of the states and UTs and 12 are nominated by the President.
- The Rajya Sabha is not subject to dissolution; one-third of its members retire every second year.
Constitutional provisions for nominated members
- 80(1)(a) of Constitution of India makes provision for the nomination of 12 members to the Rajya Sabha by the President of India in accordance with provisions of Arts.80(3).
- 80(3) says that the persons to be nominated as members must be possessing special knowledge or practical experience in respect of such matters as the following namely: Literature, science, art and social service.
Powers and privileges of such members
- A nominated member enjoys all the powers and privileges and immunities available to an elected Member of Parliament.
- They take part in the proceedings of the House as any other member.
- Nominated members are however not entitled to vote in an election of the President of India.
- They however have rights to vote in the vice presidential election.
- As per Article 99 of the Constitution, a nominated member is allowed six months’ time should he join a political party.
Try this PYQ:
Consider the following statements:
- The Chairman and the Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha are not the members of that House.
- While the nominated members of the two Houses of the Parliament have no voting right in the presidential election, they have the right to vote in the election of the Vice President.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
Post your answers here.