From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : IIIT Amendment Act
Mains level : Not Much
Lok Sabha passed the IIIT Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2020.
About IIIT Act
- IIITs are envisaged to promote higher education and research in the field of Information Technology.
- The IIT Act of 2014 and IIIT (Public-Private Partnership) Act, 2017 are the unique initiatives of the govt. to impart knowledge in the field of IT to provide solutions to the challenges faced by the country.
- Every Institute shall be open to all persons irrespective of gender, caste, creed, disability, domicile, ethnicity and social or economic background.
What are the proposed Amendments?
- Introduction of the Amendment 2020 will amend the principal acts of 2014 and 2017.
- It will grant statutory status to five IIIT in PPP mode in Gujarat (Surat), Madhya Pradesh (Bhopal), Bihar (Bhagalpur), Tripura (Agartala), and Karnataka (Raichur).
- It would declare them as Institutions of National Importance along with already existing 15 IIIT under the 2017 Act.