From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Operation Greens Scheme
Mains level : Not Much
The Union Minister of Food Processing Industries has provided useful information regarding the Op Greens Scheme.
Operation Greens Scheme
- Ministry of Food Processing Industries launched the Operation Greens scheme in November, 2018.
- The scheme aims for integrated development of the Tomato, Onion, and Potato (TOP) value chain.
- It aims to promote Farmer Producers Organizations (FPOs), agri-logistics, processing facilities and value addition etc. in identified production clusters.
- Under the scheme, state-wise funds are not allocated as the scheme is demand-driven and projects are approved as per scheme guidelines on the basis of applications received for setting up of projects in eligible production clusters.
- To enhance value realization of TOP farmers
- Reduction in post-harvest losses
- Price stabilization for producers and consumers and
- Increase in food processing capacities and value addition etc.
- Short term intervention by way of providing transportation and storage subsidy @ 50% and
- long term intervention through value addition projects in identified production clusters with Grant-in-aid @ 35% to 70% of eligible project cost subject to maximum of Rs. 50 crore per project