From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Not much
Mains level : Paper 3- Rise in power generation from renewable goes up
What the data from Central Electricity Authority says
- The total power generation from renewable energy sources including solar, wind, bagasse, biomass, small hydro and others stood at 147.25 billion units in FY21 compared with 138.34 billion units in FY20.
- This is an increase of six per cent, according to data from the Central Electricity Authority.
- All other key segments such as thermal, hydro and nuclear have reported a drop in power generation during FY21.
- This is despite a significant drop in new capacity addition in the renewables sector in Covid-battered 2020-21.
- The total power generation from renewable energy sources (including solar, wind, bagasse, biomass, small hydro and others) stood at 147.25 billion units in FY21 compared with 138.34 billion units in FY20.
- In FY21, total power generation from thermal, hydro, nuclear and renewables stood at 1372.9 billion units compared with 1383.33 billion units in FY20.
- There are several factors working for an increase in generation by renewable sources.
- The first factor is the thrust given to renewable energy by the government.
- Second is the growing environmental awareness in the country, and the potential growth is driving more capacity creation here.
- Third, getting in investment, — both domestic and foreign, is easier as this is an attractive area for them.