From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : EDUNET
Mains level : Applications of SATCOM
The Rajasthan government has started using satellite communication technology in a big way to enhance the learning outcome in educational institutions and generate awareness about social welfare schemes while giving priority to the five aspirational districts selected by NITI Aayog in the State.
Rajasthan has taken an initiative to provide the facility of receive only terminals (ROT) and satellite interactive terminals (SIT) for getting the services of subject experts in the government schools and colleges and propagate various schemes in the remote areas with no Internet connectivity.
What are ROT and SIT?
- Satellite Interactive Terminal (SIT) is one of the six selected user networks used by CEC-UGC.
- It is operating independently with their user terminals anywhere in the main land of India.
- It has one main teaching end along with remote SITs and ROTs.
- At present, there are over hundred SITs and ROTs under CEC EDUSAT network, installed at various colleges, and Universities across the country.
- EDUSAT is the first Indian Satellite built exclusively for serving the educational sector. It was launched in September 2004 by the ISRO.
- The satellite based distance education system enables virtual classrooms at rural and remote locations across the country.
- Consortium for Educational Communication (CEC) has started two-way audio-video communication through EDUSAT network from 5th September 2005.
- ISRO set up a nationwide multi-user educational network in its EDUSAT national Ku – band.