From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Spontaneous healing/regression
Mains level : Not Much
Patients sometimes make ‘miraculous’ recoveries from severe ailments. This is called spontaneous healing or spontaneous regression.
- A patient improves unexpectedly from a disease that usually progresses, such as cancer, and at times is even cured.
- Such cases notwithstanding, the medical fraternity is often sceptical and takes “miraculous” recoveries as flukes.
- A research explores patterns behind healing illnesses such as the deadliest kinds of cancers, and lays out physical and mental principles associated with recovery.
- These include physically healing diets and immune systems, and mentally healing stress responses and identities.
How does it occur?
- The research states that much of our physical reality is created in our minds and perception changes our experiences, sometimes to the point of changing our bodies.
- Therefore it argues that healing our identities may be a key tool to recovery.