From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Not Much
Mains level : Suicides in India
Between 2016 and 2018, nearly 10,000 students committed suicide every year in India, data tabled by the Human Resource Development Ministry in Parliament show.
About the Report
- HRD Ministry sourced its data from ‘Accidental Deaths and Suicides in India’.
- The report is based on data provided by the states and UTs.
Highlights of the Report
- Maharashtra accounted for 1 in every 7 student suicides in the country — 4,235 out of 29,542 in the three years combined, or about 1,400 a year.
- Maharashtra had over 1,300 student suicides in each of the three years, while West Bengal was the only other state with over 1,000 in any single year — 1,147 in 2016.
- In the overall three-year totals, Maharashtra was followed by Tamil Nadu (2,744), Madhya Pradesh (2,658) and West Bengal (2,535).
- Eight more states totalled over 1,000 student suicides in the three years, with Karnataka the highest among these at almost 2,000.
- Among the Union Territories, Delhi had 626 student suicides — 211, 212 and 203 in the three successive years.