From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Article 311
Mains level : Paper 2- Article 311 (2) C
Why the task force
- The Jammu and Kashmir administration has set up a Special Task Force (STF) to initiate action against government employees suspected of activities against security of the State.
- The order has been passed under provisions of Article 311(2) (C) of the Constitution.
- The STF would be headed by the J&K Additional Director General of Police, CID, and include Inspectors General of Police, Kashmir and Jammu, a representative of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs, and a representative of the department the employee belongs to.
What are the provisions under Article 311 (2) C
- Article 311(2) says no government employee shall be dismissed or removed or “reduced in rank” except after an inquiry.
- However, its sub-section C says this clause will not apply “where the President or the Governor, as the case may be, is satisfied that in the interest of the security of the State, it is not expedient to hold such inquiry”.