From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : TrueNat
Mains level : Menace of TB and its elimination measures
The WHO has endorsed TrueNat, an Indian indigenous molecular diagnostic tool for tuberculosis (TB) diagnosis.
- The TrueNat TB test is a new molecular test that can diagnosis TB in one hour as well as testing for resistance to the drug rifampicin.
- The TrueNat MTB and MTB Plus assays also show comparable accuracy to the TB-LAMP assay as replacement tests for sputum smear microscopy.
- The data for TrueNat MTB-Rif shows similar accuracy to WHO-approved commercial line probe assays.
- It is developed by the Goa-based Molbio Diagnostics.
- The company was provided with technical assistance and resources by the Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostics (FIND) to help commercialise Truenat.
- ICMR had assessed and validated the diagnostic tool. It has high diagnostic accuracy as initial test to diagnose TB.
- It will be used as an initial test thus replacing sputum smear microscopy.