From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Q-Commerce Model
Mains level : E-commerce boom in India
Online grocer Grofers has rebranded itself “Blinkit”, in line with its new focus on “quick commerce”, which essentially involves delivering customer orders much faster than it does currently.
- Q-commerce (‘quick commerce’) – sometimes used interchangeably with ‘on-demand delivery’ and ‘e-grocery’ – is e-commerce in a new, faster form.
- It combines the merits of traditional e-commerce with innovations in last-mile delivery.
- The premise is largely the same, with speed of delivery being the main differentiator. Delivery is not in days but minutes – 30 or less, to be competitive.
- This has in turn expanded the breadth of what individuals can order, with perishable goods – like groceries – being a large niche q-commerce companies speak to.
- It tends to focus on the micro – smaller quantities of fewer goods.
Features of this model
- Countering pandemic: The supply chain disruptions triggered by the Covid-19 pandemic led to the emergence of a new sub-vertical in the online grocery segment.
- Quickest delivery: It is the unique selling proposition (USP) of which was the promise of delivery within 10-30 minutes of ordering.
- Micro-warehousing : The focus of most of these ventures is on setting up micro-warehouses located closer to the point of delivery, and of restricting stocks of high-demand items.
Back2Basics: Marketplace and Inventory-Based Model
(1) Marketplace Model
- It provides an IT platform by an e-commerce entity on a digital & electronic network to act as a facilitator between the buyer and seller. Ex. India Mart, Amazon, Flipkart.
- The e-commerce firm does not directly or indirectly influence the sale price of goods or services and is required to offer a level playing field to all vendors.
(2) Inventory-Based Model
- Inventory based model of e-commerce means an e-commerce activity where the inventory of goods and services is owned by an e-commerce entity and is sold to the consumers directly.
- Ex. Alibaba
UPSC 2022 countdown has begun! Get your personal guidance plan now! (Click here)