From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Legacy of Mahatma Gandhi in India's freedom struggle
Mains level : World History: American Civil Rights Movement
A Bill to promote Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr’s legacies has been passed in American Senate.
Practice question for mains:
Q. Discuss how the civil rights movement in America is paralleled by India’s freedom struggle under Mahatma Gandhi.
- The initiative is an exchange program between India and the U.S. to study the work and legacies of Gandhiji and civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr.
- It will establish annual scholar and student exchange programs for Indians and Americans to study the leaders’ legacies and visit historic sites in India and the U.S.
- The visits will be relevant to India’s freedom struggle and the U.S.’s civil rights movement.
Gandhi-King Global Academy
- The bill also seeks to establish the Gandhi-King Global Academy, a conflict resolution initiative based on the principles of nonviolence.
- It proposes the establishment of the United States-India Gandhi-King Development Foundation set up by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and the GoI, organized under Indian law.
- The Foundation, which has a proposed budget authorized of up to $ 30 million per year for five years through 2025.
- It is tasked with administering grants to NGOs that work in health, pollution and climate change, education and empowerment of women.