Here are Back2Basics collections from today’s news items
B2B #1: From news – [pib] Third AIIB Annual Meeting 2018, Mumbai
Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)
- The AIIB is a multilateral development bank that aims to support the building of infrastructure in the Asia-Pacific region.
- It was proposed as an initiative by the government of China in 2013 and came into existence in 2014.
- The capital of the bank is $100 billion, equivalent to 2⁄3 of the capital of the Asian Development Bank and about half that of the World Bank.
- Recently AIIB extended USD 1.2 bn loan for infra projects in India.
- The fund will invest in six projects, including $500 million in the Mumbai Metro and $455 million in rural roads in Andhra Pradesh.
- This also includes $200 million to the National Investment and Infrastructure Fund.
B2B #2: From news – Mongolia launches construction of first oil refinery with India aid
India-Mongolia Bilateral relations
- Mongolia, a large landlocked country wedged between giants China and Russia, has a population of just 3 million. Almost half its people live as nomadic stock herders.
- Mongolia considers India a “third neighbor” as well as a “spiritual neighbor” (the late venerable Kushok Bakula Rinpoche, a Buddhist monk who is revered in Mongolia, was the Indian ambassador to Ulaanbaatar for 10 years).
- India shares historical relations with Mongolia in terms of culture from over 2700 years.
- Nomadic Elephant was the Counter-Terrorism joint military exercise conducted by India and Mongolia in 2016
B2B #3: From news – Nasa unveils program to defend Earth from asteroid attack
International Asteroid Warning Network
- The International Asteroid Warning Network (IAWN) was established in 2014 to address the recommendations for an international response to the near-Earth Object impact threat
- It was endorsed by the UN Committee on the Peaceful Uses of
Outer Space and the General Assembly resolution 68/75
- It forms an international association of institutions involved in detecting, tracking, and characterizing NEOs (Near Earth Objects) to provide the best information available on the NEO hazard and any impact threat
- The IAWN is also tasked to use well-defined communication
plans and protocols to assist Governments in the analysis of asteroid impact
consequences and to support the planning of mitigation responses
- IAWN serves the global community as the authoritative source of accurate and up-to-date information on near-Earth objects and NEO impact risks. Information is freely available to all interested parties
Here’s a Factoid to brush up your concepts
Name : Marrakesh treaty
Brief Intro : 1.The treaty requires signatories to introduce national law provisions that facilitates the availability of published works in formats like Braille that are accessible to the blind and allow their exchange across borders by organizations working for the visually impaired. 2.The pact will help import of accessible format copies from the member countries by the Indian authorized entities such as educational institutions, libraries and other institutions working for the welfare of the visually impaired. 3.The treaty will also ease translation of imported accessible format copies and export of accessible format copies in Indian languages.
Objective : To create a set of mandatory limitations and exceptions for the benefit of the blind, visually impaired and otherwise print disabled (VIPs).
Type : Treaty
Category : Social
Importance (wr. Prelims) : High